Recently, my desk has become a cluttered mess, especially since I spend most, if not all, my working hours at my computer.
I decided that it was time to get organized and get my children involved in helping me with this project, not because I believe in child labor, but because I thought it would be a great opportunity to do a craft with my kids!
Pencil holders anyone?
Here are the supplies you will need:
- 5 ½ X 8 ½ Foam in multiple colors
- Foam Shapes and Letters
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Google Eyes
- Old Buttons
- Pom Poms
Here is how you and your kids can have a blast making your own pencil holders:
- Run a line of hot glue along the 5 ½ inch side of the foam and fold the sides around until it has a ¼ inch overlap. Pinch it down and hold for a few seconds until glue dries.
- Place foam cylinder on top of a foam piece and trace out the base of your pencil holder.
- Cut the circle for the base on the outside of the line you traced to leave room for a line of glue.
- Run a line of glue around the edge of your circle and attach it to the cylinder.
- Now decorate as you please using foam pieces, google eyes, pom poms, and old buttons.
*Caution* Be sure that you’re using and applying the hot glue to the pieces to avoid children coming in contact with hot surface. Remind them not to touch the glue itself as it will be hot until it starts to dry.
Now you have a pencil holder that is fun and special because you and your children made it together!