It’s been 12 years since I walked down the aisle and vowed to forever love my sweet, funny, shy, adorable, redheaded Brockinator.
At least, I think I did.
I’d love to sit here and recount the beautiful promises we made to one another, but the truth of it is, I was so completely overwhelmed with emotion that I can’t recall my vows…like, at all. I’m pretty sure it was all good stuff. You know, the standards. Love. Honor. Cherish. The death do we part thing.
Whatever was said during that small, chapel wedding, I know from my heart that I meant it, well, unless I said the obey bit, after all, he’s my husband…not my dad. That’s just weird and outdated right there.
So, in honor of the celebration of our first 12 years together, I’m going to make some new vows to the Brockinator, right here and now, before God and the blogosphere. And, the best part is, they’ll be written down, so I have a quick reference…in case I forget again.
To the love of my life, Brock, on our anniversary, I vow to:
- Do my fair share of diaper changes, bed time toothbrush checks, spill clean-ups and doctor’s visits…except when we know shots are involved…then they’re all yours. We both know it’s better that way.
- Honor your heartburn and stop putting so much cayenne pepper in everything.
- Stifle my eye-rolls when you’re playing video games or watching yet another sci-fi show set in outer space.
- Stop using your electric shaver on my legs…so often.
- Finally forget about the time I caught you looking at that other chick’s knockers 14 years ago, right after we started dating.
- Keep my heinous, tear-inducing morning breath to myself.
- Do my share of the driving on long trips so you can catch the quick snooze sometimes.
- Let you sleep in when you have the opportunity…without the heavy, disappointed sighs.
- Help you look for the remote, even when we both know you’re the one who misplaced it.
- Pare my Snapped! watch-a-thons down to no longer than two hours at a time.
- Quit sending you on last-minute, emergency “pad runs”…you’ve done your time.
- Promise to continue to love you more every day, be faithful to you in mind, body and soul, cherish our marriage, appreciate all the wonderful things you do for me and our family, remember the road we’ve traveled together and all its twists and bends, never go a day without saying ‘I love you’ and always mean it truly, madly, deeply from the bottom of my heart.
I love you, sweetheart. Here’s to another four or five dozen!